One of the most important aspects of gaining sales in an online environment is a good search engine position (generally Google, though Bing and Yahoo! are good too if you aren’t in Canada). However, finding a good SEO professional is difficult. There’s a few reasons for this:
– SEO is composed of multiple parts – onsite & offsite obviously, but also technical level changes and content changes
– there are a lot of charlatans out there
– generally, the good consultants are very expensive because they can command those prices
– often, the markets most businesses work in just aren’t valuable enough to be worth a good SEO consultant’s job
– the landscape is changing, so a good SEO consultant or good techniques one year can become bad techniques the next
It’s something that’s been written about by some great SEO writers; but Google has a tendency to burn SEO’s because once a technique / method becomes too popular, it can hurt their results. So, even if you do follow what they say – you can sometimes get burnt anyway.
What can you do?
– research. Make sure you know what you are buying and who is doing the work
– catalog all the work (and make sure they catalog it for you) so you can revert anything that goes bad
– keep control. Always, always, keep control of the process and all logins and the like
– lastly; go for quality over quantity always. Good SEO doesn’t have to be expensive; but these days it’s really hard to get away with nothing.